SMSQ/E

Talk about the operating system (EhBASIC, FAT library, ...)
flydream

SMSQ/E

Postby flydream » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:12 am

Hi!
There's an OS called SMSQ/E written for the old Sinclair QL (cpu 68000) also ported on Atari ST.
It is a fully functional operating system on whic is written lot of software. Programmers are still active. There is also a distro called Black Phoenix that contains many programs and utilities for work as a pc. (Some screenshots http://www.quantum.altervista.org/bpuk.htm )
I wanted to know if this OS can run on this hardware. Thank you

flydream

Re: SMSQ/E

Postby flydream » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Here there is the home page of the OS
http://www.wlenerz.com/smsqe/
some other stuff and infos about this os:
http://smsq.j-m-s.com/main.htm
http://qlheaven.blogspot.it/2011/02/fav ... grams.html
http://www.terdina.net/ql/software.html

Actually it run on any original Sinclair QL + Supergoldcard + Aurora cards (it's quite impossible to find today that expansion cards), Atari St, Q60 ( http://www.q40.de/ i think it's not sold today) and on emulators on PCs . I want to make a 68000 clone and put this os on original hardware (not emulation)

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:09 pm

This looks quite interesting. Thank you for the links.
In general: if there are sources and the OS itself is suited for these "slow" maschines, it could be ported to Kiwi. But it would not run out of the box as the hardware is too different.

In the end, it all depends on the users: It might be obvious that I can't do all (hardware and all the software) by myself. Thus if you like, start a port and get help from me and the others if you have questions or if you stuck.
What I can say is, that a working basic port could be done in a few weeks if the sources are clean and have good documentation. Even if you are an average programmer. At least this is my experience with porting EmuTOS.

Anyway, I appreciate every new program. If you come around with a working port of anything (OS, game, demo, tool, ...), you would see me smiling. :-)

Simon

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:52 pm

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing.
I have come across the Q40 and Q60 before and infact according to information I found in the Q60 product information pdf, D & D systems are in the next village to where I live, I wonder if they still around.

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:33 pm

Chris, really? I have found the Q40/Q60 on the net more than a decade ago. It was pretty impressive. And expensive... ;)
I once had the idea of an ATX (or other standard form factors) PCB with a 68k and other stuff to build an 68k motherboard with ISA or even PCI bus. Well, in the end there is something totally different with the Kiwi. :)

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:47 pm

simon wrote:Chris, really? I have found the Q40/Q60 on the net more than a decade ago. It was pretty impressive. And expensive... ;)
I once had the idea of an ATX (or other standard form factors) PCB with a 68k and other stuff to build an 68k motherboard with ISA or even PCI bus. Well, in the end there is something totally different with the Kiwi. :)

Yes I was there on Thursday evening for dinner with some friends, I went to the area of the postcode as it was just over the market square from the restaurant but I could find no sign of them so I guess D&D System no longer exists.

I was trying to find out if Paul (NM156) had got any further with his Gryphon but it looks like Andrew Lynch of N8VEM fame is now working on it and has made it ATX format but ultimately is making it modular with a back plane https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=64&start=0&.

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Too bad, Chris.

Oh wow, I didn't know the Gryphon neither that website. :) So far a nice design, as I can read.
I just wanted to register on their website. To promote the Kiwi and participate the community. But unfortunately they are blacklisted and my mailserver cancels mails from them.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Chris wrote:That is very interesting, thanks for sharing.
I have come across the Q40 and Q60 before and infact according to information I found in the Q60 product information pdf, D & D systems are in the next village to where I live, I wonder if they still around.

Hi,

Just found this forum.

I was part of D&D Systems, who did PC repairs and other computer work. I produced the Q60 computer, which runs various operating systems: SMSQ/E, QDOS Classic, Linux.

The Q60 was designed in Germany and with a friend, we both lived in Codnor, Derbyshire UK. I produced the Q60 in a cased PC AT style case or as a motherboard only. Sales of the Q60 were between 2002-2007. The Q60 is not in production any more, but I have all the design files to produce more, which could be a alot less expensive than over 10 years ago.

I have moved to Cheshire and D&D Systems does not exist anymore, due to the geographic move.

I still have a working Q60 with 66Mhz 68RC060, 128Mb ram, 10gb Hard drive, CDRW drive, 10BaseT network card, now housed in a Black Shuttle PC case. It runs SMSQ/E v3.31 with 65535 colours and resolution of 512,256 and 1024x512

I am interested in the Kiwi, is the board still avaialble, as I like building computers from the ground up.

Regards,

Derek

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Tue May 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Welcome Derek!

I remember the Q60. Wasn't it a successor of the Q40? Back in the days I almost bought one. Not because I grew up with the QL, but because I like the 68k family of CPUs.

I still have boards of the Kiwi and only some CPLDs are missing. However I am far behind my schedule of producing a new batch of kits. Mostly because of lack of time and a reliable method of presoldering the SMT parts. If you are able to solder SMT parts, I could sell you all it needs to build a Kiwi.

But keep in mind that the Kiwi is a toy compared to your Q60. :)

Simon

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun May 28, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Simon,

The Q60 is really a Q40 with some a 68060 CPU and some lower voltage parts, the Q60 uses EDO ram, whereas the Q40 used only Fastpage ram.

There was issues with the Q40 construction, mainly down the to established Sinclair QL Trader, who constructed the Q40, not performing the correct soldering techniques and using parts that were on the tolerance limit for the 68040 operation. There was a lot of bas feeling and argument in the Sinclair QL publications and QL-USERS mailing list. But this all in the past, the Q60 productions sold over 30 PCBs some housed in a AT PC case.

I have a Q40 board that was built by these traders that only lasts 30 minutes before the board locks up, when I get time, I will trace the fault and upgrade it to a Q60.

But saying all that, the production of the Q60 started in 2002, over 15 years ago and the design of the Q40/60 is well over 20 years old. So really a mature design. I sometime get requests for Q60 PCBs, which would more economic with lower PCB and CPU costs.

simon wrote:I still have boards of the Kiwi and only some CPLDs are missing. However I am far behind my schedule of producing a new batch of kits. Mostly because of lack of time and a reliable method of presoldering the SMT parts. If you are able to solder SMT parts, I could sell you all it needs to build a Kiwi.

I can solder SMT parts OK and can programme CPLDs easily, I would be interested in the KIWI PCB.

simon wrote:But keep in mind that the Kiwi is a toy compared to your Q60. :)

I think all computers are toys really... just some toys are more expensive than others