repo

Assembler, C/C++ related topics
SteveMoody
Developer

Re: repo

Postby SteveMoody » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

This project is far from useless and between the files in the download section and the information in these forums there is everything you need if you wanted to go and build you're own if you're inclined to do so. I'm working on a variation of Simon's design and just getting a few PCBs manufactured has cost me over 300 Euro and that is before you start adding the cost of the components in and the time required to build the hardware.

I really don't see how you think that you can't contribute to this project without access to the subversion repos. The code in there is very tightly coupled to this specific hardware and it would be useless on a different system.

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:24 pm

1) costs a total of 350-400 euro - true but its only an issue to you
2) has no good documentation - also true but then again google the spec sheets for the chips (you're just being lazy)
3) has no public repositories - true - but you only want to take the code for your project anway, Simon pointed you at where to look.
4) has no public PCB files - false the gerbers are posted in the forum.
5) has no prove to be working, perhaps no real applications, no sources - really have you read the stuff Marvin has been producing, 4 people with real jobs and lives and all of what comes with that, aren't going to write the killer app overnight what did you expect a port of Windows? we are still finding out what the hardware is capable of.
6) has no good toolchain and get-started - maybe/maybe not but we have forum for support.

I think Steve is being very generous in his comments, it seems you've come here expecting something the Kiwi isn't, demanded access to all the designs, sources and code etc. You haven't been given what you want and have behaved quite badly.

I can't speak for the others but I've been designing stuff since the late 1980's and still make a living at it so I can't be that wrong. Ford & Fiat both had control systems in their engine manufacturing plants of which I co-designed, and Castrol offered to buy the rights. Many Hospitals during the 1990's had equipment in which I co-designed.

Now go graduate and get a portfolio behind you.

legacy

Postby legacy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:24 pm

simon wrote:No need for access to the repositories

i need, as explained ! and you are saying i have to pay you to access the repository

simon wrote:get the Gerber files

i do not want your gerber, they are useless for me, i want to see the PCB design file in order to modify it was i do not want all the devices you have put on, i do not like the shape of your board, and so on: i want to redesign everything as i want

simon wrote:but don't think we will give you hardware for less then we have to pay for!

i have never asked you to give me you hw as for a gift, i have asked you to see repository, and you have answered "buy my hw"
Last edited by legacy on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legacy

Postby legacy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Chris wrote:but you only want to take the code for your project anway, Simon pointed you at where to look.

who said that ? do you want to share your project ? if so i can collaborate using a part of you code in my hardware, which looks similar to yours and costs me 1/3

Chris wrote:4) has no public PCB files - false the gerbers are posted in the forum.

there are no design project, gerbers are not good to redesign thinks, gerbers are only good to ask a PCB-maker to prepare you a PCB
i do not like the kiwi PCB, i want to redesign it !

legacy

Postby legacy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 pm

SteveMoody wrote:I really don't see how you think that you can't contribute to this project without access to the subversion repos.

your CS8900 is exactly what i have, so the same C and assembly code for driver and application!
The same goes for the VDU!

SteveMoody
Developer

Postby SteveMoody » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:39 pm

legacy wrote:i do not want you gerber, they are useless, i want to see the PCB design file in order to modify it was i do not want all the devices you have put on, i do not like the shape of your board, and so on: i want to redesign everything as i want

Then do what i did and use the schematic to base your design on. It seems like you want all the work done for you. It also seems that you have no real experience with electronics design. Even if you had the CAD files it is not a simple as removing the parts from the circuit you don't like. Even if you had the files and deleted the sections you don't like, you would still have to create a new PCB. That is not a trivial task.

legacy wrote:i do not want all the devices you have put on, i do not like the shape of your board, and so on: i want to redesign everything as i want

legacy wrote:i do not like the kiwi PCB, i want to redesign it !

Then go and do your own design, if you want a 68K computer that bad go and do the work and find out how much effort is involved instead of expecting everything done for you. We are all happy to share our work with each other here but so far all you seem to do is demand that Simon just hands you all his hard work so you can do something that has nothing to do with the Kiwi and from what it seems i doubt once you got what you wanted you would add anything more to the work going on here.
Last edited by SteveMoody on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveMoody
Developer

Postby SteveMoody » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:41 pm

legacy wrote:
SteveMoody wrote:I really don't see how you think that you can't contribute to this project without access to the subversion repos.

your CS8900 is exactly what i have, so the same C and assembly code for driver and application!
The same goes for the VDU!

Try google then. In 10 seconds i find reference code for the CS8900. http://www.cirrus.com/en/support/driver ... /OS60.html

legacy

Postby legacy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:13 pm

(1) 68000/68010 board

(2) 68000/68010 case, IBM S/36 terminal mod

(3) 68hc11 board

SteveMoody wrote:Then go and do your own design, if you want a 68K computer that bad go and do the work and find out how much effort is involved instead of expecting everything done for you.

I have already designed a pair of boards

I have designed a 68000/68010 board (1), asking the collaboration of a friend of mine (graduated guy who has helped me about the PCB with Altium, while i am only skilled with eagle/CAD) and using a motorola EVB project and coding the monitor (useful to upload program from ACIA). my board has NVRAM, ROM, ACIA, and a PIT, on the PIT i am attaching the CS8900 and an LCD. I have designed and realized the PSU and a case (it's an hack from IBM S/36 terminal)

i have a designed a 68HC11 board (2), using motorola EVB/11 project and coding a "talker", with the PC host uploader

these boards are using a gcc toolchain i have prepared for them, plus a good crt0, a bsp, and a bit of libraries

now i have planned to develop around 68EZ328/68VZ328, unsoldering them from real hw, and soldering them to PCB adapter, i have hacked a PDA in order to have a working board
Last edited by legacy on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

legacy

Postby legacy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Code: Select all

SoC
 |
 +-----debug-processor(MIPS16-reduced)
       |      +------- debug-uart, rx,tx
       |      +------- breakpoints pool
       |      +------- breakpoints triggers
       |
       softcore(MIPS1)
       +-fetch unit
         +--- code injection (from debug processor)
         +--- access to the instruction ram   
       |
       localbus
         +--- devices
              +--- data ram
              +--- uart, rx,tx
              +--- etc …

Code: Select all

00         000000          00   
     0000      000000      00000     
     000000    0000000   0000000     
      000000   0000000 0000000       
       0000000 000000 0000000       
         000000 00000 000000         
 0000     000000 000 0000  000000000
  000000000  0000 0 000 000000000   
     000000000  0 0 0 000000000     
              000 0 0000             
            00000 0  00000           
           00     0      00         

Serial Wire Interface for Debugging

> connect
connecting … done
 > reg_scan

reg_rgp has 26 registers of 4 bytes each
reg_rsp has 2 registers of 2 bytes each
reg_rfp has 3 registers of 1 bytes each
reg_rbu has 1 registers of 4 bytes each
reg_bus has 18 registers of 4 bytes each
reg_idcode has 2 registers of 4 bytes each

> device_probe

this chain has 2 devices
================== DEVICES ==================
Device0: Manuf=0x49 Family-Code=0xa Ver0/Rev0   
Device1: Manuf=0x49 Family-Code=0xa Ver0/Rev0

> verbose=True
 > reg reg_rgp r0

packet_size=8
is_ckecksum_ok=1
mout.it.is_ans_ok=1
-------------- packet_request/packet_answers ---------------
i=0, tdo= 6, tdi=4c lead  reg_rgp,r0
i=1, tdo=34, tdi=34 moin  S2,UB,GO,RD  xxxxxxxxx 
i=2, tdo=ff, tdi=6a data0
i=3, tdo=ff, tdi=f1 data1
i=4, tdo=ff, tdi=fe data2
i=5, tdo=ff, tdi=ca data3
i=6, tdo= 0, tdi=70 mout  xxxxxxxxxxx  BP,__,OK,
i=7, tdo=35, tdi=35 sign

reg_rgp.r0=0xcafe.f16a

>

i have also been designing a new debug processor for an fpga soft core (MIPS R3K compliant)

SteveMoody wrote:Then go and do your own design

i will !

SteveMoody wrote:We are all happy to share our work with each other here but

it doesn't seem, i have asked an access to the repository and you have answered "no", so … facts are not showing you want to share and help
btw, good luck, guys
Last edited by legacy on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:32 pm

You never had to buy the kit from me. If you have read the forum and the license you would know that you are free to build it on your own. Get all parts etc. You already have access to all that you need for that task. That is btw what Steve and Chis did. If you want to modify the schematics I am pretty fine with sending those to you. But depending on how much you want to modify I would not start with our gEDA design schematics but with the public downloadable symbols, footprints and PDF schematics. That way you are way saver avoiding mistakes.
About the repos: They only exist to our group of developers to help co-working on in-development software projects. They didn't exist when I worked on the project alone. Everything else, even Kiwis VHDL sources are available to you here in the forum. You can see how the address decoding is implemented, you can see how the DRAM circuit works and so on.

Please, if you take this seriuos, go and read here and there, download the attached files in the several topics and look at them. Feel free to use them in your own project modified or unmodified, but don't forget to give credits to Kiwi and our work.