Porting EhBASIC to gcc?

Talk about the operating system (EhBASIC, FAT library, ...)
legacy

Re: Porting EhBASIC to gcc?

Postby legacy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:51 pm

guys, i have a 68000 board with an eprom emulator at 1Mbit/sec, i can test whatever you want, but please, i do not want to use an other assembler, i have a gnu toolchain for m68k and a sierra C 68k (a pretty C compiler for Dos, it's a professional suite).

have you also considered to use a project designed in C instead of assembly ?

what about LUA instead of basic ?

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:00 pm

Well, there is EmuTOS which runs pretty well in console mode. This is written in c and can be compiled with gcc m68k-elf or m68k-mint. We don't like to use other assemblers as well. This is whiy this thread exists, as you can guess. But for me there is no really need to fiddle around with EhBASIC since there is EmuTOS. Lee passed away (RIP), thus there wouldn't be any further updates. My plan is to have a working VDI sometime to get a full desktop with EmuTOS.

Simon

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:59 pm

legacy wrote:guys, i have a 68000 board with an eprom emulator at 1Mbit/sec, i can test whatever you want, but please, i do not want to use an other assembler, i have a gnu toolchain for m68k and a sierra C 68k (a pretty C compiler for Dos, it's a professional suite).

have you also considered to use a project designed in C instead of assembly ?

what about LUA instead of basic ?

C = 50% larger 50% slower, but I suppose for basic it doesn't make any difference. C is just for portability like all high level languages, I have yet to see a compiler spit out better optimised assembler than something hand coded.

legacy

Postby legacy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20 pm

it is not there Truth! GCC may sucks a lot (especially in the older version <= 2.95), buy try the SierraC/68k, it is not so badly optimized!
i am also using gcc-mips for a MIPS-R3K project, and C is not so bad, with GNU CC