Who wants a Kiwi?

Talk about everything hardware related
simon
Site Admin

Re: Who wants a Kiwi?

Postby simon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:52 am

Yeah, the boards are on the way to me. :)

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:33 pm

simon wrote:Yeah, the boards are on the way to me. :)

WOOT :D
I better start to arrange my free time to allow for some playtime.

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:14 pm

I am boxing the boards and will bring the parcels to the post office on Thursday as I am ballroom dancing on tomorrow. :)

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 am

The first two parcels are packed and I'll bring them to the post office after work. I'll mail you the tracking codes afterwards. :)

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:51 pm

simon wrote:The first two parcels are packed and I'll bring them to the post office after work. I'll mail you the tracking codes afterwards. :)

I warmed up the soldering iron and started putting it all together this weekend, still waiting for a few parts on order.

Just to give it the authentic retro look I have dug deep into my NOS stash of 74ls chips and the newest chip I have fitted to the board is from 2002 the earliest from 1984 :lol:

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Cool, good to hear! :) I have to wait for the SMD parts before I can start. Did you solder these yet?
Don't forget to take pictures. :)

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:12 pm

simon wrote:Cool, good to hear! :) I have to wait for the SMD parts before I can start. Did you solder these yet?<br sab="674">Don't forget to take pictures. :)

Yes I soldered the SMD parts first, then the resistors and finally the dil sockets. The capacitors and remaining crystals should arrive on Wednesday hopefully, I'm still waiting on the 68008 its taken 5 weeks so far, hopefully it will be this week or next.

Hmm I got so carried away I didn't take photos :oops: , I'll take some during the rest of the build.

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:41 pm

Great news, Chris! :) Keep us up to date.
The parcel tracking sais that my parts arrived Germany yesterday. Thus I'll finally start soldering next week. And: I'll have all hard-to-find/obsolete parts for the next ten Kiwis on stock.

Chris
Developer

Postby Chris » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:55 pm

simon wrote:Great news, Chris! :) Keep us up to date.
The parcel tracking sais that my parts arrived Germany yesterday. Thus I'll finally start soldering next week. And: I'll have all hard-to-find/obsolete parts for the next ten Kiwis on stock.

Great news Simon.

I only have the SwinSids and on/off switch outstanding from Sinchai.DE. I have all the other parts that I will be incorporating into the build. I decided to miss off the Floppy controller and the output to composite video but pretty much everything else is going into it.

Unfortunately my wife had other ideas on how I was spending my weekend so I did nothing this weekend, Maybe I'll get chance to do some more during the week.

I also wonder if I could hack an SDcard into the Floppy space, something to consider during lunchtimes this week I think :D

Regards

Chris

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 am

Sinchai has been closed at the moment due to illness. I hope Donald gets well soon. :(

There might be alternatives. If you search for Rocker Switches @Digikey you could try to find one with a similar footprint. I found some wich have almost the same footprint. I wanted to search more to find a better replacement though. I will have to compare datasheets for this: http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/M2rockers.pdf

Hehe, wifes have priority. ;) I am on vacation this week. Hopefully my parts will arrive soon. :)

Simon