Case?

Talk about everything hardware related
simon
Site Admin

Case?

Postby simon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi,

I got a cheap case. I knew it has the wrong measure but I thought of trying a sort of case modding. Has anyone experience with plastic molding/modding?
Here are some pictures of the case.

Simon

DSC08142.jpg
DSC08142.jpg (302.43 KiB) Viewed 114040 times

DSC08143.jpg
DSC08143.jpg (383.66 KiB) Viewed 114040 times

DSC08144.jpg
DSC08144.jpg (581.35 KiB) Viewed 114040 times

DSC08145.jpg
DSC08145.jpg (450.5 KiB) Viewed 114040 times

DSC08146.jpg
DSC08146.jpg (508.09 KiB) Viewed 114040 times

netwar

Re: Case?

Postby netwar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 am

some how i bet you knew i'd be here. :D
For plastics not much of an expert :(
but always willing to test it maybe that crayola oven will get some action :twisted:
In all seriousness there are two apporaoches to the case
1)have a custom retro case(or a choice for retro case)
2)put it in like a standard ATX or micro-ATX (something on those lines)
I just so happen to have 2-3 plastic suitcases laying aroud from previous brief case computers maybe that as an idea?

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Yeah, who else could it be? The other forum members seem to be very silent. ;) :D

I bought two cases to have some material to play around with. Maybe I can cut one case and insert a part of the other case to extend its size. The tricky part could be the "insert". How to fix? Glue? ...

What are these platic suitcases you have laying around? BTW the actual PCB measures 34cmx22cm. :roll:

Simon

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:39 am

After some web-research I like to try out ABS plastic molding by using hot-air and acetone. Hopefully our local DIY store has everything I will need. Let me think:
  • (ABS) platic plates
  • Hot-Air blower
  • Acetone
  • Small (inlaying) saw
  • Sandpaper
Anything else?

Simon

netwar

Postby netwar » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:38 am

The plastic suitcases are these cheap translucent cases from walmart that i bought roughly twelve years ago but didn't use them for computers till last year.
I'll go measure the one that doesn't have junk in it and see,more or less for novelties sake (or i might get a second board and recreate the commodore sx-64 portable machine the possiblities are endless)
With the ABS molds try not to freak out your neighbors lol. Despite living in a rural area my neighbors were in shock the year or so of living next to me not only from the fifty foot high pillars of fire from science experiments/explosions but, a mini solar death ray(from a broken flat bed scanner plate and a old projecter based tv screen) but since we are out of county lines(we technically aren't part of the us despite being in the middle of north carolina they never declared the land) on private land i can shoot rifles out the back at the deer and rabbits (also i spent two summers building a small cannon now that really makes the deer jump). Most people even if you lived at CERN or something will still go through the roof at the sight of and manafacturing or experiments (thats why i moved back to this house because of the county line)

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:34 am

Hehe, acetone smells like nail varnish remover, thus no neighbor would suspect me doing something. :mrgreen: :roll:
But you are right, if I would build a cannon this would definately freak out my neighbors. :lol: Even though I live a bit more countryside with a forest beyond the backyard. :)

Well, I went to the DIY shop yesterday and bought some parts. I didn't find nice ABS platic plates thus I sacrificed one of these cheaps cases.
The saw is not perfect or at least the blades and my experience are not perfect. ;) I had more accurate cutting edges when using a sharp knife. But at all I am very positive suprised by the acetone. The plastic disperses and one can use it as glue. After drying the splices seem to be very strong. I have to get more experience and practice to achieve better and cleaner results. Maybe I will buy another two of these cases to have enough stuff I can use for modding.

The hot air works to mold the plastic. But it is difficult to get a smooth form. The first photo shows a a skrew-barrel on a plate. The plate has been molded from a right angle.

Simon

DSC08149.jpg
Plastic glued with acetone onto a hot air molded plate.
DSC08149.jpg (419.61 KiB) Viewed 113984 times

DSC08154.jpg
Sawed edged are glued with acetone.
DSC08154.jpg (402.03 KiB) Viewed 113984 times

DSC08156.jpg
DSC08156.jpg (446.98 KiB) Viewed 113984 times

netwar

Postby netwar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:35 am

Keep at it guy! :D

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Yesterday I ordered some parts - including another two of these cases. Hopefully I can borrow a mechanical fret saw next week. Then I will proceed. :)

And here again: We would benefit from a standard sized PCB. The only thing I don't like: Our nice self built computer would look like an ordinary PC. :? ;)

Simon

netwar

Postby netwar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am

True True... something i shall think upon

simon
Site Admin

Postby simon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:57 pm

I changed my plans and dropped the idea with these cases. They are too special and it is not sure how long they are available. Now I try to design a case from ABS platic plates. Here the tricky part is to get a design which can be opened and closed easily. We'll see... :)

Simon